About a week and a half ago I went in for my physical exam for my pregnancy. This exam is the pap and breast exam and has never really meant much more to me than ruling stuff out and making sure all the parts are working right. This time that changed because there were a couple of different things that were found from this exam. During the breast exam, my dr. immediately located a slightly painful and swollen lymph node in my armpit. She asked if it hurt and I nodded that it had and she told me she would really like a breast ultrasound to rule out anything serious. She wanted to do it that day, but our insurance wasn't having it, so I was scheduled for Tuesday the 26th, which is this coming Tuesday. I was pretty unconcerned due to the fact that things like breast and lymphatic cancers tend to be more genetically connected and I didn't know of any problems like that in my family. Except I didn't know much of anything from my biological father's side, so I made a phone call to his mother, my grandmother. As soon as I layed it all out, she told me that her mother and both her sisters died of breast cancer and one even had lymphoma along with the breast cancer. She then told me she had a tumor removed herself from her breast and said something about my aunt that I can't remember because I was reeling by that point. I went from no fear of anything being wrong to there being an actual threat in a split second. I am fine now and the fact that I can blog about it is significant considering I found out a week and a half ago and it took me this long. It hasn't been fear that I actually believe something to be wrong, but fear of others going through that fear. My husband had to really struggle at first as he processed it all and he knows as well as I do that the odds are against anything being wrong at all. Personally I believe that I just have some breast tissue in there that is prelactating because any time I have nursed, my armpits are the worst part of the pain. I am confused why both sides aren't doing it, but maybe one side is just more active than the other. I don't know, I will have answers soon enough, but there is that.
The other thing that was caught was that I suddenly have Group B Strep. What is so weird about that is that I have had three kids before this where I never had it and now I do. I didn't even know that could happen to be honest. It is just a harmless bacteria for the mom, but it has potentially devestating affects on the babies if they pass through and it gets them. So, I am going to take a round of antibiotics now and then have more through my i.v. when the baby is delivered. Nothing scary, just weird to get it with the last baby and not at all with the first three. So far I have been super happy with my dr. and the amount of attention to detail that she has afforded me. I feel pretty safe with her and I love that because it is affirmation of a blessing I recieved at the beginning of my pregnancy. D gave me the blessing and in it he told me that my doctors would be guided in my care by the Lord and that I would "face challenges I can't understand" in the course of the pregnancy and that we would have a healthy baby. So far, I have had very guided medical care and I have gone through some things that I don't understand, but I know it is going to be okay. Blessings are amazing that way...
1 comment:
Aren't blessing wonderful? You get peace of mind if nothing else.
Regarding the GBS...it's a bacteria that you ALWAYS have. It's just a matter of whether there's something going on with your body that is allowing it to grow out of control or not. When you get a negative, it doesn't mean that there's none there, but just the normal, small amount.
Are you going to be tested again closer to delivery? You should be, because at that point you may not need the IV antibiotics. A week can actually make a real difference. Anyway, I'm glad that you're feeling like everything is okay. Please keep us updated about the lymph node. I'd be scared too, but as I was reading it (before you got to the part where you also thought this), "she's pregnant and she's nursed before. I bet they're just warming up early."
Good luck and prayers to you!!
Post a Comment