
Well, week four is coming to a close and it has been a very inward-looking week for me. First off, I want to put down what this week's workout is and then go from there- jog 3 min., walk 1:30, jog 5, walk 2:30, jog 3, walk 1:30, jog 5
Okay, for some of you out there, this doesn't look too tough, but let me tell you something... IT IS HARD. When I first started this whole thing I thought the 1:30 minute jogging was tough and here I am jogging for 5 minutes straight! That is amazing to me and shows just how far you can come in a relatively short amount of time. But in order to do something like that, you have to be creative with what motivates you through it when you just want to collapse. I found some things that surprised me.
First on the list, I had to find music that would push and pull me through the tougher parts. After thinking back on my favorite kinds of music and what those songs made me feel, I realized that I needed to listen to Lincoln Park. Not some upbeat cardio-class music, but something a little more gritty and LOUD and emotional. It worked great and I was able to just go straight through that three and five and three and five minutes because of it. Then I had to think of something to get me through when I would feel tired or have a stitch in my side or ribs and I decided to do visualization. When I was begining to feel overwhelmed, I would just envision that I was actually in a pool swimming. I would move through the breast stroke and let myself feel the water and the rhythm of the stroke. I would envision the power and strength I feel when I am in that pool and then suddenly, I was feeling stronger and more able to get through that run. I was reading an article not long ago about the power of visualization and thought it was really a great idea. The writer explained that almost all Olympians use visualization before they compete. Sounded good to me and when I did it while I was running instead of before, it was very effective. Lastly, I really thought about why on earth this came to mind as something I want to do so badly. I thought about what makes me look forward to this every other day of the week that I do it and makes me want it enough to strength train in between those jogging days. Here is what I came up with:
I AM NOT PREGNANT ANYMORE. There. Okay, it is a little bit deeper, but not much. Over the last five years of my marriage (that is 65 months), I have been pregnant a total of 3 years, 2 months (or 38 months). To be more specific, I was pregnant the 9 1/2 months with M, when she was 13 months old I became pregnant with G. I did my 9 1/2 months with G and by the time she was 3 months old, I was unknowingly pregnant with E. I did my 9 1/2 months with E and she was born with a genetic condition that no one could figure out for a long time. When E was seven months old, I became pregnant with Z and did my 9 1/2 months with him while in the hospital with Elizabeth quite a few different times. So, tally it all up and you have the four months I was married that I wasn't pregnant yet, the 13 months between pregnancies with M and G, the three months between G and E, the seven months between E and Z, and the two months since Z was born that I WASN'T pregnant. Since I got married November 29th, 2003, I have been unpregnant a total of only 29 out of 65 months. That is A LOT of being pregnant for a five year old marriage and it also means that over the last five years, my body has belonged to my unborn children with everything I ate or did. Nothing I did was allowed to put strain of any kind without a feeling of "oh crap, what if that hurts the baby?", so I would just tell myself to wait it out until I wasn't pregnant anymore.
That time is NOW. I am not pregnant and for the first time in my life I won't be getting pregnant ever again. I can do things with my body for myself that are challenging and exciting without worrying about my baby's well being or getting it going just to have it undone once I am pregnant again. So, doesn't it make sense to start my unpregnant chapter with a BANG and run a 5k? It does to me. It makes A TON of sense to prove to myself that I can do something good without it involving being an incubator to a beautiful baby. I need to feel good about my body and be a good example to my babies on exercise and healthy eating. So here I am, finding anything motivational and exciting to push me through the tough spots because this means so much more to me than a run, it means the beginning of my belonging to me and me alone. A wife and friend, a mother of four of the most wonderful children in the world, and a LaNae that can do anything she sets her mind to. That is what a 5k means to me.
4 comments:
Great Job LaNae, I'm excited to see you at the race. And don't worry about Gwen's party. I wish you had called when you remembered. We had the bouncer up all day long and invited the people at the party to come back for dinner because we had lots of left over food. People were bouncing all day.
I know exactly what you mean, with your body finally being yours again. I get like that every time after I'm done breast feeding, and that is the reason why I wait 6 months after that fact before getting pregnant again. I NEED my body to be mine for a least a little while! (Although I'm sure what you're feeling is about 10 times what I feel, because I know it's only temporary!)
Great job on your running! You're doing great!
Kudos to you! I'm honestly and sincerely trying for the first time to get rid of all of these baby pounds I've accumulated for the past 4 years! I totally understand how you feel. I'm sick and tired of being fat and feeling unattractive, and am anxious to get rid of it all before another baby comes! I exercised in the past, but now I'm striving to do it for 1 hour, 5 days a week, because that is the only way that I am going to see results! I walk/ run (with the kids in the stroller :P), and do exercise DVDs with strength training. I'm also trying to get enough sleep by going to bed earlier. Exercise is such a mood stabilizer - I'm sure you've noticed that! It helps me fight off any depression that I feel, and I'm always more motivated to get things done. :D I'm also changing my semi-healthy eating habits, little by little, into much healthier ones. The whole family is involved in that one! All I had to do was include more whole grains, fruits, and veggies. It's working!
On a side note, this has to be like, the longest comment ever!
Keep up the exercising!
AWESOME LaNae! I'm training for a 10 now-I don't know how you train and take care of your little ones! Sorry it's taken me so long to check out your site. You know me, I'm always gone somewhere for work. I just got home from Vegas and now I'm starting BNCOC this week.
Love ya, Nae!
Post a Comment